How to create an online course with your LMS
Creating a whole course from scratch can be daunting. With our step-by-step guide, we’ll show you how to create an online course using your LMS.
Creating a whole course from scratch can be daunting – questions may run through your mind such as where to begin, the design layout, and the modules that will benefit your employees. When starting out, you may feel overwhelmed with how to create an online course that will engage your employees and offer them a learning and development program that will help them and your business grow.
With our simple, step-by-step guide, we’ll show you how to set up a course using our easy-to-use course management system. Users can create, deliver, train and report all from one place – minimal assembly required!
On your Coassemble dashboard, hover over the box with “Create” and then select “Create a Course”. Think of a Title and select the appropriate Department that this course will fall under. Then it’s time to create! The new course will appear to the right of the original “Create” button you selected. Click “edit” to customize your new course.
Along the top is a menu for each step in creating your course, starting with “Overview”. Select “Overview” to customize your course by adding multimedia such as images, video and include a course overview for your audience.
Add an image. Click on “image” in the course’s edit mode and you can upload or select images from Google. Once selected, you’re able to adjust the size and ratio of your image. Once you’re happy with the way it looks, click the “save” button on the bottom right. Then write an overview so your audience can refer back to it when they need.
Select “Modules” from the top menu. “Add New Module” on the right gives you the option to add a new lesson, a supporting document for the course, a quiz and other handy parts to your module. Once you select an option you can add a title, edit the content and save.
Once you save your work you’ll be taken back to the Module tab where you can see your new module component and be able to make edits.
Next, look at the top menu again and move along to “Enrollments”. Click on it, then “Add Group” to the right of the screen. Select “Create new” and add details such as a Group Name and course start and end dates.
Now you’ll be able to see your newly created course on the “Enrollments” dashboard. To the left of your new course name, select the arrow. It will drop down to an editing page where you can add course facilitators, participants, and adjust the settings such as time zone, course start, and end dates and mandatory completion dates.
Add a facilitator by typing their name and selecting the correct one. Add new members by clicking “Add Facilitators” and then “Add New Members” and paste or type in their email address.
Once you are happy with how your course is looking, you can preview it by clicking on the top right “Preview” button.
Remember, you can go back in and edit anything along the top menu at any time.
Now that you know the basics, incorporate these handy tips to get your course to stand out and your learners engaged.
Planning and lessons
We may be a little bias, but this one’s a no brainer – read our eBook! It’s packed full of extra information to make your LMS course sing. Page 23 onwards really gets you to think about planning your content, so we recommend you read this first before adding and editing lessons. It will get you to answer questions about what knowledge you’re sharing and what tools you’re using to give your learners the best possible course.
Content and media
– Make use of multimedia! And vary your use of it with videos, audio, and images where possible, it’ll really help to engage your learners.
– Use bite-sized training or microlearning to deliver easily digestible content – because no one likes to read a thesis, and then be tested on it!
– Use templates! Our platform has 40+ interactive templates to facilitate more engaged learning, so use as many as you can in your course to shake things up for your learners.
– Images are so important in eLearning, but it can be hard to know what sizes to use for which template. Use our cheat sheet for perfect image sizing for each of our templates.
– Lastly, remember to employ the magic number seven (plus or minus two)! To ensure maximum retention, using this tool will keep your course simple and effective.
Learning and teaching
– Branching scenarios are a great way to increase engagement and empower the learner. They’re effectively a map or flow chart in the form of a user journey. The user starts at the beginning and is constantly presented with a series of challenges, choices, and consequences – each with its own ultimate outcome. We talk more about them here.
– Read about and avoid these three common eLearning mistakes by so your learners are able to take feedback onboard quickly and easily, learn in sections and digest visuals that directly link words with images.
You should now know how to navigate around the Coassemble platform and feel more confident in creating a course. For more guidance and support, just check out our help page.
Want to find out more?
Contact our team for a chat to discuss how we could help with learning in your organization.